Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Frustration and Satisfaction

Jeb and I took possession of the Yankee over a week ago, and I have yet to fly it. The insurance company placed restrictions on us - we have to get checked out by a qualified instructor before we can solo in it. The instructor has to have at least 300 hours total time and 15 hours in Yankees. We called all over the place trying to find someone qualified. We thought we were going to have to travel to San Diego where a flight school has a Yankee trainer. Finally we found a guy right here in Tucson at Ryan Field, but he can't instruct us until this Thursday - day after tomorrow.

Airplane ownership is not different from what I expected, though. I never expected that plane ownership would be like automobile ownership, because you don't just jump in a plane and fly into the sky without lots of preparation first. I figured there would be delays while all the pieces were put into place... the hangar, the purchase, the FAA paperwork, the aircraft registration, hull and liability insurance, and now training requirements.

But you know what? I own an airplane, and it is a good feeling to know that I have achieved another life dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment